Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 57 ~ Blind Channel to Quaski Cove, Quadra Island Campbell River, B.C.

The rooster had one last opportunity to wake me up this trip and I woke up first. The sun was still deep behind the mountains and the sky was dark with a hint of color.  It was so quiet that we gently prepared for departure not wanting to disturb the ambiance of the morning. We didn’t care how cold or how windy it was we were taking her in from the bridge! 

We had a strong current running against us and strong winds pushing us, which made for a slow ride. We had smoothies for breakfast and used the last of the berries that Wendy and got from Kake. We never did finish the Vodka! 

Our cruise speed was slower than we anticipated which delayed our arrival into the Campbell River area by 45 minutes. We were expecting to dock at the same marina that we stopped at on the way up but learned they couldn’t accommodate us. Fortunately, April Point Resort and Marina on Quadra Island was more than happy to offer us temporary docking so we could wash the boat.

Like a man on a mission, Dad tackled washing the outside while I did all the last minute things in the interior and then we met in the cockpit. Right on schedule we were finished and we moved the boat over to our friends George and Margery’s place in Quathiaski Cove. They are currently in Southeast Alaska and they told Dad he was welcome to leave his boat on their dock. For the last time, I put the Simbalaut on the dock, scored an 8 (needed coaching).  

My original plan was to purchase a couple of duffle bags when we got to Campbell River so I could get more of my stuff off the boat. When we changed docks I had to improvise. I had brought a set of sheets on board, which I needed to take with me so all 4 of the pillow cases turned into duffle bags complete with zip tags for ties. Dad let me use his back pack for my laptop.

Satisfied with our cleaning job, we locked her up and walked up the dock. It was more than just a little emotional for me walking away and leaving Simby behind. I watched Dad walk up the steps and then turn around and look over his shoulder, seems he was feeling some of the same emotions.

Jo-Ann the neighbor offered to run us down to the resort, which was really nice because it saved us time finding a taxi. The Canadian folks are such lovely, kind people. We had a bite to eat on the deck at April Point, while keeping a watchful eye on our pile of pillowcases. If someone took them they were going to be sadly disappointed.

We worked our way down to the float plane dock with our pillow cases in tow. Just two old salties in desperate need of haircuts and a manicure, I can’t remember when I looked this rough. The flight was late so we just stood on the dock, waited and shared with others our summer adventure.

When the plane arrived it was half the size of the one that Becca was on – figures. I had already discussed with Wendy, if they would allow my stuff on that I was going to send it in my place with Dad and I was going back to the resort for a spa day. The pilot packed everything in and then told us that we were going to be picking up two more to go with our four that were already on board.

Dad has flown several times on Kenmore Airlines so he suggested that he and I take the back and let the others take the middle seat. They were shoulder to shoulder. We were all concerned that the doors were going to bust open.

When we first took off, we had a sad moment when we could see the Simbalaut on the dock and our shadow in the water.  But then our float plane ride turned magical. The water was a beautiful blue and you could see all the boats in all our favorite coves along the way. The plane was really noisy but I had Wendy’s Bose head phones and her iPod. I let Dad use them for the first leg and then it was my turn. As we crossed back into the US, one of the Yanni songs that I’ve been listening to all summer started playing and I pretty much lost it – wow what a summer!

When our plane finally landed in Kenmore, we were happily greeted by Wendy and Judy….we were home. Our trip of a life time was over but it will live on in our memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment