Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 45 ~ Meyers Chuck, Cleveland Peninsula to Ketchikan

The morning started early for Dad with a knock on the boat. Dad came up with his sleepy eyes and found a woman who subsidizes her income by making cinnamon rolls and selling them to boats on the dock. Dad wanting to help support the local economy purchased 5 and went back to bed. Thor was curious what was going on so he too got out of bed and then slid down the stairs when he went back to bed, which woke me up. It wasn’t long before we were all up! 

Ugh, my hands were really starting to take a toll. I had been chipping away at my horrible nail job since we left Sitka. Nails and hair were going to be first on my list when I got home. Dad was also getting really shaggy. It was the first morning in a long time that we were off the dock before our projected float plan.

The skies were grey and they threatened rain but for the most part the rain held off all day. As we approached Ketchikan, we slowed down and fished our way into the harbor. Unfortunately, we didn’t catch anything.

When we arrived at the fuel dock, all of our gauges were showing zero but we hadn’t gotten into the reserve tanks. My fuel calculations were off by 5 gallons. After the fuel dock we headed over to Bar Harbor, which turned out to be the most stayed in harbor of the whole trip. Once on the dock we began our standard chore routine. No wonder Dad and I were not too keen on going to the dock. Laundry was always first, followed by moving all the fishing gear off the boat and then washing the gear and boat inside and out. We were in a single width slip so we had dock on both sides, which allowed us to get both sides washed well. Dad and Thor were on the outside crew and just before they were finished the gentleman that was bringing us an engine part arrived with his girlfriend. All cleaning was instantly halted and we went into host mode.

For some time our company sat and visited with us, sharing with us some halibut fishing holes that were in our return path. I continued to push the laundry along and then decided to take a shower, because Thor was planning on taking us to town for dinner. As it turned out our guests joined us and we headed to one of the finest restaurants in town, which served Italian and Mexican food. Dinner was fun and so were our new friends. There was some kind of big 80’s team dance happening in town and they really wanted us to join them but we said our goodnights and headed back to the boat.

Before we left I had put my clothes into the dryer and it was still running when we returned. Unfortunately, I had already stripped my sheets and they were in the washing machine with soap so my only choice is to stay up and run the washing machine and the dryer. By 2:00 a.m. I had dry sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment