Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 39 ~ Leesoffskaia Bay to Sitka

The day that Michael got on board she said that she would be awake by 6:30 each day and today it was 9:30 Alaska time. Before noon we had pulled anchor and we were slowly heading towards Sitka. We were procrastinating looking for the house from the movie, which we determined to be back east! Sitka has definitely changed since the last time we were here. It is a really pretty area and you could see all the new houses that had been added to the growing population of 80,000. We came all the way across town and tied up to a lovely marina. One thing that I really liked up there was that the boat slips were really wide because of all of the fishing vessels.

The rest of the afternoon was all about chores. We washed the boat and scrubbed the interior. Dad has a condo in Sitka so we packed up all the laundry and headed over to take showers and do laundry. Dad wanted to get the oil changed and to go shopping at the marine store and I wanted to get my nails done.

It had been five weeks since we left and I was down to only five nails left. Dad talked to his neighbor in Sitka and got a referral which I called. What an experience, the woman spoke no English – none!  The owner of the store was using her lap top to translate between us. My pedicure was nice, but very basic…my feet were in a bucket. Next up was the nails. The owner of the store was busy with a haircut and I was left with the woman calling people on the phone who were serving as translators.

Two hours later, Wendy had showered, moved laundry along and was at Ernie’s Saloon having a beer. Dad had the oil changed and had been to the store twice. Shiner had completed her shopping and Thor was ready to hang a taxi sign on the truck. Back at the salon, my nail girl was on her third nail. She was doing them one at a time. The owner was so sweet, she came over to try and help and made the comment that she needs to watch the video so she can help her learn what to do!  Oh my, my hands were a mess!
After my adventure at the salon, Thor picked me up and I went to the condo to move the laundry along and get a shower. It was lovely to have a nice long shower. For dinner, Dad had selected the Chanel Club and Thor decided to treat everyone. Dinner was fabulous. Michael and I had a wonderful curry halibut and everyone else had steak. As we walked out of the restaurant we were greeted by the most beautiful sunset. The skies were full of color. I tried to get some good pictures with my little camera but they didn’t really turn out.

After dinner we came back to the boat to get our chores finished which included updating the blog, switching out the broken printer and fixing the leaking head. It was a late night and we still didn’t get everything done. Michael and Thor worked on the laundry and making another trip all the way up the dock, Wendy and I worked on the printer which worked great until we moved it back downstairs and it stopped, Dad fixed the head. Tomorrow, Wendy and Michael are flying out around 1:00 and the boat is heading towards Ketchikan with Thor. 




No comments:

Post a Comment