Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 53 ~ Dawson’s Landing, Rivers Inlet to Duncanby Landing, Goose Bay

We were slow to move off the dock because we had internet and our next destination was just a few hours away. At exactly 1:00 our internet went down. We figured it was a signal from them that they were ready for us to depart. Dad and I wanted to go up to the store to pick up a few things before we left. Of course as we started to step off the boat a light rain started. Good thing my rain coat was handy.

We walked up the dock to the general store which is in one of the float houses. It was lined with white Christmas lights. The foundation under the store was simply impressive. The logs had been lashed together with a massive cable sure to hold in any weather. The store had a large selection of logo wear and a small selection of fruit and produce. Dad and I both found shirts. Unwilling to purchase the fruit I grabbed two bags of chips. At the register I found out the chips were $6.00 dollars a bag! When I got back to the boat I woke up Becca to let her know what we had purchased and to let her know that we were getting ready to leave.  She jumped out of bed and headed to the store with my credit card to shop for herself.

We left the dock and fished our way to Duncanby’s Landing. We caught nothing, except a ticket from the Moose and Goose for barbed hooks. We should have read the rules before they boarded us. Fortunately for me, Dad went under the bus or should I say boat again and took the fall and the ticket. It helped that I was driving the boat when they came aboard. Becca who was out helping Grandpa without a license was laying low. The sea was sending big swells our way so we decided to head to the dock. This time I got a score of a 9 because I could have done it faster!  Wow the bar was rising on a daily basis!  The cool part was that there were several Seattle Yacht Club boats on the dock and other than being a bit slow it was a beautiful landing.

Duncanby’s Landing is a first class lodge that was totally renovated in 2005. Today it has several cabins, a lodge, a restaurant and lovely sun deck. They have float plane access twice a week. We first came to the landing in June on our way north but they weren’t open yet.

We had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. We also visited with the SYC group. They had two sail boats that had left Seattle two weeks before us heading basically on the same course to Juneau. Like us, they were on their way home. After dinner I purchased a 30 minute internet access card for $12.00 and let Wendy and Judy know our plans. I had to go to a common space with my laptop and plug in and enter the access code to make everything work. Oh well, better than nothing.

Back at the boat, we worked our float plan for rounding Cape Caution. Five charts and a pile of sticky flags later we had it all figured out. It kind of tugged at my heart strings when I pulled out the Cape Caution chart and it still had the sticky flags that marked the navigational points from when we rounded the Cape on day 4!  Our plans for the next day were to fish Clarks Point on the bottom of Calvert Island and then stay in Fury Cove before we head south and round Cape Caution.



No comments:

Post a Comment