Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 50 ~ Khutz Inlet to Bottleneck Inlet

Before going to bed last night we had reminded Eileen that there was no need for her to wake up the boat at the crack of dawn. As I started to stir, I could hear the pounding rain and I could see considerable fog through the hatch. I decided to turn off the fan and just listen to the quiet, the rain drops and snuggle with Becca, it was very peaceful. Then I looked up the stairs and realized that Dad was fully dressed standing at the helm with an extremely concerned look on his face. I went up to investigate.

Apparently while I was snuggled down enjoying my blissful sleep Dad was up all night taking manual depth soundings. We have no idea why, but all three depth sounders were getting false readings of as shallow as 3 feet!  Frustrated with technology, Dad hooked a weight on the end of fishing pole and used it to take manual readings. He dropped the weight off the side of the boat and then casted it out from all sides. At 3 a.m. according to his method we were in sitting in about 100 feet. All night the alarms kept going off and Dad kept doing his manual check with the same results. Needless to say he didn’t get much sleep.

Fed up with the situation, Dad instructed me in my pajamas to fire the engines so we could move!  As we departed the channel the fog was thick and the rain was pouring and then we noticed the center windshield wiper stopped working so we stopped to make repairs. Our entire transit for the day was in fog, rain and 3 to 4 foot seas. Eileen was at the helm with Dad on watch and Derek navigated. Becca was helping me with a project for the rendezvous when she started to get a bit sea sick. Ginger cookies and looking forward over the bow of the boat settled her tummy enough that she was able to take a nap.

Unwilling to skip our history lesson for the day, we pressed on to Carter Bay where the ship Ohio was run aground after hitting a rock later named Ohio rock. I wonder if my great great grandmother, was ever on the Ohio. No luck finding the Ohio, I guess we need low tide.

There were several boats in the inlet trying to escape the weather. Once on anchor Dad retired for some much needed sleep and so did Becca. Derek and I fished off the back of the boat while Eileen took a shower. We had several bites but couldn’t hook anything. After diligently trying we decided that the bites were coming from something smaller than our bait!  It is funny how you can feel a bite on the end of a fishing line and imagine this huge fish on the other end and then when you pull it up it is a little bitty thing.    


While fishing I took up the slack in the stern line that was caused by the changing tide. A bit later Eileen was telling me that she had just put on her last dry outfit, when Derek commented on the slack in the stern line. We both responded that it was due to the change in the tide. Simultaneously, the anchor watch alarm went off and Eileen noticed the line floating by the side of the boat. Apparently, it had come untied from the shore!  Eileen and Derek raced to re-secure the boat. I untied my end to give them as much slack as possible, then I decided to grab the camera. As they reached the shore, I heard my end of the rope fall into the water - oops. By the time they were done they were both soaking wet and Eileen no longer had any dry clothes.   
After dinner we continued movie night. The kids seemed to be most excited recounting their experiences. About midnight, Derek was exhausted and wanted to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment