Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 18 ~ Neets Bay, Alaska to Ketchikan, Alaska

The days were lasting longer and longer and we were at the point of going to bed and waking up in daylight. On this particular morning, I was snuggled deep under the covers when I heard the heat come on, which was the notice to all crew that Dad was up. I looked up and the sun was shining and I knew that the guys wanted to go fishing again so I decided to be a good sport and get up. When I went up to the galley and looked out at the shore, I was confused at the height of the tide. I figured Dad was in his stateroom getting dressed and then I heard him snoring. Perplexed, I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 a.m…. I went back to bed. The second time I got up both the guys were already up and ready to retrieve the stern anchor, which we did exactly as planned.

The entire day was spent fishing without any luck. We did however get back to where our phones would connect so we were all content. Gene watched the poles while Dad and I talked on our phone. In my first call I learned that the FDA was planning an inspection at my office. For a moment, I contemplated flying back home to help and then we came around a point and I could see Clarence Straits off in the distance and the clouds and the sun were so beautiful that it was challenging to see where they stopped and their reflection in the water started. It was a sign that I was where I should be!

Back in Ketchikan, we got some much needed fuel and oil before heading for our moorage in Bar Harbor. Once on the dock, we spotted our friends George and Marjory Pentland on the Breakaway across the marina. They were on the first float of the North Harbor and we were on the last float of the South harbor. After we docked, we called the harbor master and he allowed us to move over to their float so we could visit.
George and Marjory came over and shared lots of local knowledge regarding where to stay and where to fish in Southeast Alaska. They have been in the area several times so their knowledge was invaluable. Gene made a wonderful crab and chicken enchilada dinner.

After dinner we started working on our next day’s float plan. We were struggling trying to figure out our next destination point because I didn’t want to leave too early. I was concerned that my office might need me in regards to the inspection and I didn’t know how well the connection was going to hold once we left the dock.

Our next major destination was the glacier in Thomas Bay, which was a long ways but we wanted to make sure Gene got to see a glacier before he left and we really wanted to find some more fish. It was after midnight before we got finished and tucked in bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment